Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins: Origins Round-Up

This last week I went through the remaining origin stories and thought that I should put up a post on my thoughts on them. Overall, the stories really railroad into a situation the writers want you in so that you can move on to the Grey Wardens. I guess I shouldn't expect too much from the 1-hour stage setting that it provides, but I would have liked more options.

Human Noble-
The first one I played and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure it is the typical cliche fantasy tale of going out for revenge, but the writing team pulled it out enough to get me interested. I was glad I was able to get the Dog in the story and could take him on to the rest of the game, something I wish other origins would have had.

Mage-
I clashed the most against the writing in this one. I had no feelings on the blood mage and his forbidden romance. Even though we were set-up to be friends, I just didn't care. I felt as though I was forced to pick a side on the debate. I would rather been able to be indifferent and done nothing to help with later accusations of aiding them forcing my exit.

Dalish Elf-
This one was a pretty good start. I choose to kill the humans for trespassing as that was the mentality I was taking with the character and the plot twist of being infected with the taint provided the impetus for leaving. I liked how they made you leave, knowing the player wouldn't want certain of staying.

City Elf-
Thankfully they set it up as an arranged marriage, which allowed me to be overly snarky to him. Not bad of an opening, but I just can't put my finger on where it fell flat. As a note, my city elf is replacing my mage character for the second playthrough because I like the direction I'm taking with her, anything to get ahead.

Dwarf Noble-
My second least favorite as I felt as though I had no say in anything. Shit was going to go down and I would be blamed with no chance to defend myself.

Dwarf Commoner-
Third least favorite. I just don't know what it is about the dwarves in this game but I can't stand their story arcs. I had to do what my pimp said and had no illusion of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment